Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Chicago Recap

We had a good time in Chicago. 2 weeks was definitely too long, though. On one hand , it was good that the kids were able to settle into a routine and get to know their aunt, uncle and cousins very well, but it was a LONG time to be away from home. The kids did so well on the plane that I am actually looking forward to flying again with them. ( February to Florida. Merry Christmas to us!!) We had a nice mix of down time and busy time while we were there. Our hosts worked alot, so we had that time to chill at their house, also known as Junk Food Central, and play video games while the kids were sleeping. We went to the aquarium and the zoo (twice) and that was so fun, especially since Oliver is old enough to enjoy it now.
I will say, though, that it is so hard being a guest at someone's house, especially when it is your in-laws and there is that weird in-law dynamic. My MIL and two SILs talked (read:guilted) me into going shopping with them at 4am on Black friday. There 's a reason it's called Black Friday. I think the closest thing to Hell that I have experienced is standing in line at the world's smallest K.B. Toys with about a million people around me at 7am. Not worth the buy2 get 1 free Fisher Price toys if you ask me. I will NEVER do that again. I think I would rather spend the full price on something than get up that early and fight the crowds. Ugh - I am not a shopper anyway. I have to really be in the mood and that is rare. When I do my Christmas shopping, I have to know exactly what I am getting and where I am getting it. Then I get in and get out. My family this year has decided to do some homemade gifts. I do believe that I have come up with the best homemade gift idea. I have made fabric covered bulletin boards, criss-crossed with ribbon. They are so cute, so easy and so cheap (shhh..don't tell) . 5 gifts crossed off with these beauties! Woo Hoo! My biggest dilemma is what to get for my hubby. He has mentioned a bunch of things, but I like to come up with something really thoughtful. So far, I haven't thought of anything fun - just boring things. I did have a great idea, but then I realized it was what I wanted, not him.

Anyway, I will try to be a better Blogger now that we are home and settled in. I promise!

No comments: