Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Did you Have a Good Summer?

No, actually, I didn't. That's what I want to say to all these parents and teachers who ask as we are starting school again. But, as with most people (myself included, unfortunately), they don't really have the desire to hear anything other than, "It was great. How about you?" I guess parts of my summer were good, it wasn't all terrible, but for the most part it was the most difficult summer I have ever had. I experienced loss in many different ways, the most significant being the loss of my mom. I struggled with things I never thought I would have to deal with. I made a really great friend in my neighborhood...and then she moved. Blah, blah, blah... So, yeah, it was a really bad summer. But, I know that God is faithful and that He is working in me and that someday I will be able to look back at this summer and see what He was doing and why. The good parts of the summer? I was able to stay home with my kids and take care of two other sweet kids and spend lots of time doing fun things like going to the pool, beach, playground, farmer's market, etc. I got a really good tan! I lost 10 lbs. (Granted, it was from stress and anxiety, but I'll take it!) So, there were some good times in there, too.
School has started back up. My first day was yesterday and the kids' first day was today. They are both going to full day preschool three days a week. They were so excited. Oliver was excited to be the big brother and take care of Morgan and show her around. Morgan was excited to go, as long as she was with Ollie. She said to me this morning, "So, Mrs. Todd will like me. She will look at me and say 'That is not Morgan, that is a pretty princess." I have to admit to shedding a few tears as they left. I am grateful for the time alone to actually complete a thought without being interrupted, but I will miss their little faces. Here's what I would like to accomplish on the days they are at school: go to the gym, read my Bible, clean and organize the apartment, purge their toys, get dinners organized and prepared ahead of time, prepare my Sunday School lessons, work on planning for the Women's Banquet at church, sew. Obviously, I won't get to all of this today, but these are my goals for the year. Hey, maybe I will even blog more often.
The start of the school year always signifies a fresh start for me. So, here's to leaving the summer behind and starting afresh!

1 comment:

Janice said...

You DID have a terrible summer. And it's quite ok for you to hang on to that for a while. Obviously you won't tell the parents of the kids at school about all the terrible ness. But, give yourself time. It will take a while. A long while to move past it. Be gentle on yourself Becka. (((hugs)))