Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Stop and Shop Chronicles

Part 1

I was at the grocery store today picking up some formula for Oliver and since I only had 2 items I decided to go to the self-checkout lane. I had a coupon for $4.50 off the formula, but it would not scan. I tried in vain for a few minutes and then reluctantly pushed the help button. After waiting what seemed like an eternity I was tempted to give up and save the coupon for another time. But $4.50...that's alot and we need those savings this week. So, I waited patiently trying to scan my coupon all the while. Then a woman slowly approached me looking confused as to why I would have pushed the button. I tell her, "My coupon won't scan." Her helpful comment? "Well, it should." Duh, that is why I called you over here, lady. If it shouldn't have scanned then I wouldn't have even tried. My pregnancy hormones made me cranky about that comment. She manually entered in my savings and we all lived happily ever after.
The End

Part 2

Saturday I was again at the grocery store trying to get all my shopping done before the big blizzard. (Along with the entire town of Weymouth, incidentally) I had been feeling kind of tired and emotional all day, but I knew I had to get this done before I was housebound for who knows how long. So, I got my veggies and then took my number for the incredibly crowded deli counter. There isn't much I hate more than waiting in line at the deli. I think the best invention was that computer thingy that lets you order the cold cuts and then pick them up in 15 minutes after you do the rest of your shopping. Though, most of the time I forget about picking them up...but that is another story. I digress... So, I am standing amidst the crowd and suddenly begin to feel not-so-good. I try shifting my weight back and forth thinking that maybe I had locked my knees or something (bridesmaid syndrome), that didn't help. I stood there thinking about what to do. Do I abandon my cart and veggies and go home? No, I've made it this far in line, they are a few calls away from my number, I can stick it out. I try putting my head down on the handle of the cart. Still not any better, my number is getting closer, what to do? Then, my ears started ringing, my vision got dark and I knew I was going down. Falling down if I didn't sit down quickly. So, I wheel my cart over to the side as I hear them announce my number (Nooooooo!) and tell this nice gentleman next to me that I am going to pass out. I then proceed to sit on the nasty filthy floor with my head between my legs. The poor old man is freaking out, telling me to relax, not to get up, etc. I have to explain about 5 times that I am not diabetic but I am pregnant and NO, I do not need an ambulance! I was so embarrassed. But, everyone was so nice about it and two people called Joel for me, which sent him into quite the panic. This nice woman stayed with me while I was waiting for Joel. She talked my ear off, it almost made me wish I did lose consciousness, or at least my hearing. Joel arrived and by then I was feeling much better and wanted to finish the shopping. Joel wouldn't hear of it and made me come strait home and lay down. Turns out I just got overheated with my coat on inside and my blood pressure dropped. Pretty common in this stage of pregnancy, I'm told. Now I feel weird going into the store, like they have a picture up of me with a "Pass Out Warning" label. "Watch out for this one, she's trouble." Joel has forbidden me to go shopping by myself now. Yeah right, like he will do it! He'll go and do it once and then he'll be like "Well, I guess you are ok now. You can do the shopping."
The End

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I think you need to find a new grocery store :) That one is cursed! Glad you are feeling better. I think Joel SHOULD go grocery shopping for the next 6 months or so. Of course, be prepared to have nothing healthy come home in the cart. At least that is what would happen here!