Monday, August 20, 2007

Memory Monday...I almost forgot to remember!

This past weekend we went to one of my favorite places in the whole, wide world. Even if I got to travel the world and got to see every cool and beautiful place, I think this place would still be one of my favorites. It's a lighthouse and jetty in Scituate. There's something about it that just seems so peaceful and beautiful to me. Anyway, we took the kids there to play at the beach and so the boys could try to catch hermit crabs. It got me to thinking about the first time I took Joel there. It was the summer we met - 2001, perhaps. We were on a weekend off from camp and we had just started our official relationship. We walked all the way out to the end of the jetty and sat for a while. The whole time I am wondering when he is going to hold my hand, perfect opportunity with the rough footing and all. Anyway, we talked as only newly dating couples talk - telling stories of our past, sharing deep thoughts, etc. Then, on our walk back I finally bit the bullet and grabbed his hand. We got our picture taken in front of the lighthouse, our arms draped awkwardly around each other. I look back at that picture and think how young we were - my hair was still completely brown, for heaven's sake - and how far we have come since then, also how far we have strayed since then. Not from each other, but from that excitement of falling in love. Sometimes it just seems so mundane, now. I know that is normal, but it's a shame that we can't keep that excitement of just holding hands and talking. On the other hand, it is wonderful to think how much more we know about each other now, how much we can communicate without saying anything and how much we have gotten to experience together. How amazing it was to return to this place with our children. Something I only dreamed of before. I remember Joel telling me that day that he was going to marry me, and I thought he was crazy to be so sure, so soon. Little did I know...
To my readers with spouses: Take some time tonight to think about your first date or special time with your hubby. Remember that feeling of excitement and nervousness and share it with him. You'll both enjoy the memory.

No comments: