Monday, August 13, 2007

Introducing...Memory Monday

Ok, in an effort to cure my blogger's block, I am starting a new Monday theme. Maybe this will force me to sit down and write at least every Monday. So, I bring you Memory Monday. Come. Take a trip with me down memory lane...
One of my favorite memories of childhood is camping. We would usually go to Minuteman KOA (which seemed so far away back then) in Littleton, MA and a place called Papoose Pond Resort in Maine. We had an old pop-up trailer and I remember getting it all packed and ready for our trip. I loved the excitement of loading up the cooler and the car and staking out my place in the "way back" of the station wagon. The momentary stress and anxiety as my parents tried working together to get the camper hitched up to the car. ("To the left more. No your other left!" ) Then the trip in the car which I usually slept through unless I had a friend with me. Then, I'm sure we drove my parents nuts the whole way. Upon arrival at the campground I would immediately begin exploring the area. Are things the same as they were last year? Anything changed? Anyone else here yet? (We would usually go with a bunch of other families) Our camper was the best. I can still smell the sweet, musty, piney odor. I can hear the door squeak and bang shut. I can feel the warm coziness of my sleeping bag. I can still see my parents in the big bed on the other side of the camper. I loved when it rained .The plip plop of the drops on the canvas roof was like a lullaby.
The joy of being outside all day and able to get dirty without anyone caring. Swimming and playing in the water for hours. Eating fried dough that my mom made and hot dogs and marshmallows cooked on the fire. Sitting around the fire in the evening, smelling the smoke, hearing the pop and crackle, seeing the sparks float up and then disappear. When I was really little, I was passed around from lap to lap around the fire. Then I got my own chair and would sit out until I could no longer keep my eyes open.
I am blessed to have had such a great childhood. I hope we can give our kids such great memories like this one. Though, I'm not sure they are ready for camping...yet.

No comments: