Thursday, June 26, 2008

Our New Favorite Thing

We went camping this week and I am happy to say it was a huge hit! Even though it was raining, no make that torrential downpouring, most of the time we were there. We went to a campground that I grew up going to, which was exciting for me to bring my own children there. We stayed in a little cabin since we were not too sure how the kids would do with the sleeping and such. Turned out to be a great move what with all the rain. I have to say, I am very proud of us for not letting the rain get us down. We loosened up and let the kids play in the rain and get muddy, we took the time to enjoy each other and to relax. No whining or stressing about what we were not able to do. The kids had a blast playing in the rain, of course. At one point Morgan was sitting in a puddle that was at least an inch deep. They loved it and even better, they slept great! The cabin had a double bed and a bunk bed, I thought for sure I would end up in the bunk with a kid or two and Joel would be sprawled out in the big bed alone, but they did great. Morgan fell asleep while I was reading to her and then Oliver climbed up on top and went to sleep without a fuss. They slept hard, both nights. It was great! Tuesday night, after the kids went to bed, Joel and I were even able to sit out by the fire for a while. The rain cleared up just in time for us to have that time. Joel liked doing the fire. He started one in the morning and tried to keep it going all day, even in the rain. He was drenched, but the fire was worth it.
I am so looking forward to the next time we go. We're thinking about maybe next month sometime. Anyone want to join us?
I want to post some pictures, but I think I will wait until I have a faster connection.

Oliver cooking his first hog dog. We made him promise to eat it...he ate one little tiny piece.

Fun on the bunk bed!

"Cleaning" the cabin.

2 comments:

Janice said...

That sounds AWESOME! Too bad I couldn't get Chris to go camping unless it was at a Hilton or something. :) I am so glad you had that quality family time. What great memories for your kids! Oh, and I love the pic from the walk. I wish I could have joined you.

Sarahbeth said...

We'll go! We actually have a tent set up in the backyard (i was supposed to take it down before we left town but forgot). Jess and the kids "camped" in the backyard tent twice and I just joined in for the campfire and then enjoyed my nice soft bed. I loved camping as a kid and can't wait to take the bunch somewhere.