Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Kid Again

Do you have people in your life that instantly transport you back to your childhood whenever you are with them? I do. I am reading a book in which the main character talks about a friend that always makes him feel 8 years old and it made me think of the people in my life that make me feel this way. It's the good kind of feeling like a kid, not the "You're only 8 and you don't know anything" kind - which I have plenty of also, especially being the youngest. Anyway, my grampa was one of those people and so are my godparents. My grampa always made me feel like a little girl again. I loved the way he would always refer to me with either a nickname (ReeBee, Baccala or Pooh to name a few) or my full name, never Becka which is what everyone else calls me. And he would try to get me with the same jokes and stories that he did so many years ago. I miss him terribly and I wish my kids had the chance to meet him and hear the stories and jokes.
Also, my godparents, good old Auntie Flo and Uncle Frank. I never fail to feel like a little girl when I am in their presence. Even when I introduced them to my husband and my children. The first time they saw Oliver I felt like saying "Look what I made! Don't you want to hang him on your fridge for everyone to see?" I love that my Auntie Flo works in the nursery and takes care of my babies while I am at bible study. To see Morgan asleep on her lap, in the same way that I was so many years ago is amazing and wonderful.
Sometimes it is good to feel like a kid again. I wonder who those special people will be in Oliver and Morgan's lives.

No comments: